Souths To Return To Cairns For Next Two Years

photo (10)By STEVE MASCORD

SOUTH Sydney are set to take games to Cairns for at least the next two years after Sunday’s unqualified success against Gold Coast.

There were estimates that the premiership match at Barlow Park pumped around $1.7 million into the local economy, justifying the investment by Events Queensland in the fixture.

“We’re coming back for the next two years – it’s been a big success,” says chief executive Shane Richardson

There is already speculation the Rabbits may play Brisbane there next year. Souths are also keen to extend their relationship with Perth, where they’ll play the Warriors in round 17.

“We actually like travelling together the fact we’ve taken a home game out of town would not be an excuse for losing,” said coach Michael Maguire.

Round 17 will be a red letter day of sorts for the game and the practice of shifting games to developing markets, with Darwin, Perth and Mackay all hosting matches on the same weekend.

Titans captain and Cairns product Nate Myles said recent relocated games in Mudgee and his home town had been a pleasure to be involved in.

Filed for: RUGBY LEAGUE WEEK

1 Comment

  1. Great to see! Cairns can have an ongoing representation in the NRL with the admission of The Brothers Leprechauns into an expanded competition. Go Cairns! Go Brothers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s