THE WRAP: NRL Round 17


MY cab is whizzing up St Kilda Road on the way to the airport at a quarter past midnight on Saturday morning and John Lennon starts crooning on the radio: “no-one ever told me there’d be days like these”.

He’s right.

No-one told me there were red eye flights from Melbourne to Darwin. No-one ever told me that the traditional media industry would reach a point of desperation so acute that in the interests of saving them all money, I would have to do 11 people’s jobs at three rugby league games in three time zones over three days.

No-one ever told me, in 27 years as a rugby league reporter, that I would one day find pleasure and satisfaction in what was essentially failure.

Here’s who I was during round 17 of the NRL, the Leyland Brothers Round that traveled all over the countryside. At Melbourne versus Brisbane at AAMI Park on Friday, I was the Age’s rugby league writer, Triple M’s pre- and post-match interviewer, the ABC’s sideline eye and Rugby League Week’s roving journalist.

The next evening, at Gold Coast v Penrith at Darwin’s TIO Stadium, I was ABC’s Around The Grounds man, the Sun-Herald’s journalist and RLW’s man on the scene.

And on Sunday night at the gloriously appointed nib Stadium in Perth for South Sydney-Warriors, I was Triple M’s reporter, the ABC’s sideline eye, the Sydney Morning Herald’s journalist and RLW man on the spot as well.

Oh, and I worked for Triple M at Brookvale Oval for Monday Night Football (Manly-Parramatta) when I got back, too.

Just getting to all three far-flung venues was a logistical challenge. It involved two ‘red eye’ – or overnight – flights in three days, Melbourne to Darwin and Perth to Sydney.

In order to get some sleep on Friday in preparation for the ordeal, and to get more on Saturday morning upon arrival in the Top End, it was necessary to pay to be in three places at once overnight Friday – my St Kilda hotel, my Darwin Hotel and the plane.

That meant a bill of $548 for just 24 hours at the Rydges Darwin Airport Resort (walking distance to ground and airport – a rare combination) and they didn’t even have room service when I finished work after the Panthers flogged the Titans 40-18.

In Perth, it was airport-nib Stadium and back to airport because I needed to be on the ground in Sydney the next day to file 10 items for Rugby League Week before heading to Brookie.

The reason for all this:  The slow death of newspapers and the shrinking budgets of radio stations. There has never been a time when RLW would have staffed games outside NSW, the ACT and south-east Queensland but I think I asked every single question at Souths’ media conference after their 30-13 win over the Warriors because not one journalist from outside Perth, aside from me, was present at the match.

I pay for myself to travel. Not a single journalist – aside from the Gold Coast Bulletin‘s Travis Meyn, representing News at TIO – or radio broadcaster was sent to Darwin or Perth by his or her organisation. Not one – just the Sportsears techs, photographer Col Whelan, club online staff and Fox Sports crew and commentators.

Here’s how it went down, trying to do the jobs of all the people who stayed home.

On Friday, Cooper Cronk kicked for touch. The ball hit the fence and rebounded into the back of my head – while I was on air. I must have kept talking. Wendell Sailor – sitting next to me – flinched at the impact and then told listeners how I’d carried on as if nothing happened. I guess it comes from having things thrown at you at Canberra’s outdoor press box when you are trying to file.

I could not file for the paper on the fulltime siren, as required, because I could not get a 3G signal for my laptop on the sideline. I spent the whole second half trying to get a signal, so I hardly spoke on the ABC. With a gaping white hole int he paper when the siren sounded, my “cans” went dead as I ran onto the field to grab Jesse Bromwich and Cameron Smith for the paper and I had to change batteries on the run.

I finally got my copy through some 10 minutes after fulltime and am not sure if I missed thousands of papers as a result. You’re starting to see a pattern already. I tried to do the jobs of 11 people but actually did the jobs of 11 incompetent fools.

For Triple M, the tech snapped one half of his headphones off so Anthony Griffin could hear questions from the boys upstairs post-match, as he had only one set of cans. Innovation.

I got Sisa Waqa for RLW. The quotes story for The Age and SMH only appears online (that’s why there are no quotes in your Saturday paper from Friday night games anymore) because of budget cuts and fewer editions being printed.

Around the grounds is my most challenging duty because I am numerically dyslexic. If they come to me while a try is being scored, I struggle because I actually have trouble with basic maths. “Sixteen points plus one try scored just then equals er…..”  And given that there was a rugby union Test on, Tim Gavel and Julian Abbott came to me a lot in Darwin because of all the bloody stoppages.

But around the grounds was probably the only job of the 11 all weekend I did properly – even if I could not record the ‘fulltime wrap’ as I was supposed to because, once again, I could not get a 3G signal to file for the paper on time.

At the end of the press conference, Titans coach John Cartwright mentioned Greg Bird had rolled his ankle. I asked him more about this during the post-match ABC interview, and then waited outside the Gold Coast sheds for the man himself, for the paper.

When Bird hobbled out in a moonboot and on crutches, I considered snapping a picture on my iphone but figured it could have offended him as this is not yet normal practice for footy journalists (it will be, don’t worry). But when I caught him POSING for photos with fans upstairs, I had no compunction in taking one.

It was up on with an internet-only story quoting him extensively before the Herald could even post it. The way I see it, they are barely paying me enough to cover my hotel tonight so… That was the theme of the weekend, really. It was the They Have To Cop What They Get Tour.

read on


1 Comment

  1. Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you: Steve Mascord – not just the hardest working Rugby League journalist in the country, but also the only working Rugby League journalist in the country.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.